The Standardized Carter-Westling Empirical Weirdness Evaluation Engine

Thursday, June 29, 2006

June 29

Three Poems by Tryfon Tolides

Julie: The first poem is fine, the second appealing but not terribly exciting, and the third, "I Will Sleep," just pleased the pants off me. Figuratively. Just a lovely read.

---------

There is no need for truth now that we have autopsy by Deborah Wardlaw Pattillo

Julie: This misses the mark for me. I feel very unconnected from it, passive.

---------

Neighborhood Light by Theodore Worozbyt


Julie: As this poem progresses, from the big to the little, it gains in intensity, in density. Makes sense, given the topic. So my read started a bit languorous and then started rolling like a tumblin' tumbleweed. I think, in the end, that it's not an entirely successful poem. It doesn't really force me to keep reading. I forced me to keep reading. It did reward the read, but could have been a bit tidier about it.