The Standardized Carter-Westling Empirical Weirdness Evaluation Engine

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

June 27

People did not ask you to sign a release form by Deborah Wardlaw Pattillo

Julie: I'm sorry, but is it possible to have a better line of poetry than:
These panties are not your panties; all panties belong to the silent majority

I didn't think so. Though I'll admit I kinda read "moral" instead of "silent" and then had a picture of Jerry Falwell with a hot red thong on and then I kinda had to lie down.

---------

Scout by Jamie Ross

Julie: Inexplicable thing, poetry. There are times when I like it best when I understand it least. That odd tilt to the known world that also makes me enjoy fantasy fiction makes this poem a real pleasure. Good language, both descriptive and open. It's the right poem to follow Pattillo's, above. Start out giddy, move into strange. What will the next poem bring?

---------

Autopsy by Virginia M. Heatter

Julie: Though I like how this sits on the page, and I love repetition (as those who come here often would know because I am banging that drum not-so-slowly. Sorry), I wasn't truly sold on this poem until the end
is the dead space, the rift
behind the gums, that hollow.

That's lovely, and a good way to close out a very weird day.