The Standardized Carter-Westling Empirical Weirdness Evaluation Engine

Thursday, May 18, 2006

WEE reviews May 18, 2006

Plat à Décor by Michael White

The first half of this poem is rather like a catalog of art. And the thing about art is that it's pretty hard to describe to any great purpose, even in a poem. That left me feeling distant and bored. The poem ends well, once it moves past individual works and onto the artist as a person. A more visual person might find it more rewarding than I did.

---------

Funeral, Mineral, Vegetable by Jibade-Khalil Huffman


I was completely disconnected from this poem (which is beginning to look like a pattern today). I didn't come away with any sense of meaning or any joy in the wordplay. Just nothing. Might not be the poem's fault.

---------

11. Across, from Life As A Crossword Puzzle by Noah Falck

I'm disappointed in this poem after yesterday's. I think Falck has a lot of talent, mind you, but I don't think he's as ruthless as he needs to be with his editing. This didn't need to be flat, but it was. And the ending is especially easy.