The Standardized Carter-Westling Empirical Weirdness Evaluation Engine

Monday, May 08, 2006

WEE reviews May 8, 2006

Cow Song by Susan B.A. Somers-Willett

Julie: Well that was an interesting read. I liked the slanting rhymes, though the loosey-goosey meter made the rhymes seem sloppy instead of crisp. I'm not sure what the "cow song" is that's filling the pail, though it gives me the most horrific image, which doesn't fit the loosening of the young shoulder. Or does it? The shotgun sitting rather than being in use throws me. In any case, I was willing to work hard enough to end up with questions, which is probably a Good Sign. I'd like to see this poet demonstrate something with meter to show that she meant what she did. Right now, I don't see it.

---------

Thighs by CK Williams

Julie: I'll be honest. I didn't give this poem much of a chance. I hated it from the moment I opened the page. It's squatty. And if there's an uglier word in English than "squatty," I've never heard it. The poem tries to use ugly and flat language to tell and ugly and flat story and it pretty much stays ugly and flat. I don't need pretty language, but I don't need the Swede from NOAA, either.

---------

13 Stages of Grief by Jennifer L Knox

Julie: I know it says "grief" right there in the title, but this made me laugh. And then I read it aloud and, because of the title, could temper my voice into something a little hysterical and bereft. It could have a hundred titles and thereby evoke a hundred moods. That's probably not a good sign, though I enjoyed the read.