The Standardized Carter-Westling Empirical Weirdness Evaluation Engine

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

WEE reviews May 17, 2006

Fog on Skyline Drive by Alison Apothecker

Julie: When I got to the end of this poem, I read:
I give you the chance, curve by curve
            to practice what is necessary
                        to say

And I thought, "I gave you that chance, too. Why don't you say it?" I'll admit that I didn't get a huge amount of sleep (2 hours) last night, and I'll admit that I've spent the whole day in doctors' offices and am groggy and should be either asleep or watching baseball (if there's a discernible difference), but this poem felt coy and dammit, I'm not in the mood for coy. Just say it. SAY IT.

---------

Without a Compass by Luciano Erba, trans. Ann Snodgrass

Julie: Nothing coy about this one. Nothing coy about my review. I like it. There.

---------

5. Across, from Life As A Crossword Puzzle by Noah Falck

Julie: I love this. I simply love it. Sure, some of it is fatigue, and the way the surreal becomes hilarious when your brain is starved of oxygen. But I simply adored this poem, its dry tone, its absurdities. Thank you, Noah Falck. You've made my day.