The Standardized Carter-Westling Empirical Weirdness Evaluation Engine

Sunday, May 07, 2006

WEE reviews May 7, 2006

Starr Farm Beach by Timothy Steele

Julie: This poem doesn't do much for me until the final stanza, and even there I can only say that it's rather pretty but seems safe and, well, safe. Competent, but workmanlike.

---------

Dear Beekeeper,
by Julianne Buchsbaum

Julie: There are times when meaning is overrated, and perhaps poetry is the best example of one of those times. This poem doesn't mean anything to me directly.
I want to witness all the red
economies of venom in the first bee

Say wha? But still, I enjoyed the read very much. I enjoyed the language, the transmuting colors, red to yellow to brown, and I think I must really like bees in poems nearly as much as I hate pregnancy in them. Mmm. Bees.