The Standardized Carter-Westling Empirical Weirdness Evaluation Engine

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

WEE reviews May 23, 2006

Pliers by Robert Pinsky

Julie: There might be a decent poem underneath the gimmick, but I can't see it for the trees.

---------

The Ant by Max Winter

Julie: This poem is good, almost great, with a compelling analytical style that made me very interested in the narrator. I wanted to keep reading because I wanted to learn about who was speaking, as well as the plot going on in the poem itself. I also have a fondness for insect poems. Ants are just neat, okay? Geez.

---------

The Poetry of Bad Weather by Debora Greger

Julie: Very enjoyable poem, though I found myself feeling awfully nitpicky about the lack of a comma after "snow" in the final strophe, which leaves snow going blue with cold and while I grant that the narrator is in Florida and may not be aware of this, snow is already cold! Yes, I am reading it wrong, but it keeps poking at me. Take the comma away after "way." Put it after "snow." I am happy. See how easy it is to make me happy? I am a cheap date.
Only the dull roar of air forced to spend its life indoors
could be heard

I've heard that air. Only it's between my ears.