The Standardized Carter-Westling Empirical Weirdness Evaluation Engine

Sunday, April 23, 2006

WEE reviews April 23, 2006

We Argue about Regret by Laura McCullough

Julie: I was charmed by this poem, though it took a while to hook me. To be honest, I would only have skimmed it were it not for my new review shoes. Something about the way it sat on the page made me think of rigidity and I spied quotation marks (my nemeses!) right off the bat. But I did read it and was happy to have done so. Not a big flashy poem for certain, but one that captures something real. And it has a linebreak I love:
tell, the best truth includes one
lie.


---------

Keel of Earth's Axis
by Mong-Lan


Julie: This poem has some lines I admire, but the whole ends up not striking me. Granted, I haven't had my caffeine yet today, and it's Sunday which my brain has claimed as a day of rest (along with the majority of the rest of the week). Strangely, I didn't get the sense the poem would reward further reads.