The Standardized Carter-Westling Empirical Weirdness Evaluation Engine

Friday, April 21, 2006

WEE reviews April 21, 2006

Day two at WEE reviews.

Hotel Narrative (06 APR 1996) by Eileen R Tabios

Julie: For the second day, this poet ends a sexually charged piece with a bit of very "poetic" diction just sort of tacked on. It puzzles me. This poem puzzles me. Certain sections (2, 4) aren't pulling their weight. The airy formatting is trying to give it space, but it seems that the poem is equally about distance and shut-innedness. Like yesterday's poem, it has a violence to it that sours me.


---------


Tale by Emily Moore

Julie: Romancing a pony leaves me with a very discombobulated feeling. I assume from the ending pun that this is supposed to be taken lightly, and as such I think it works. If it went on longer, I would have become very bored but I wasn't yet.


---------

X at Sea by Tom Hansen

Julie: I've read this poem before. Not this exact one by this author, but very similar poems. I'm not really complaining about that. Lord knows I've walked on very well-trod ground myself. But reviewing it is hard. My exact reaction: "Okay." The same way if my husband said we needed to go to the store. "Okay."