The Standardized Carter-Westling Empirical Weirdness Evaluation Engine

Sunday, April 30, 2006

WEE reviews April 30, 2006

Getting Kicked by a Fetus by Martha Silano

Julie: There is no subject for a poem less likely to get me enthused than pregnancy. I'd rather read about anything else. I'd rather read a poem about the ingredient list on a package of beef jerky. That said, this poem had some intriguing lines and the consistency of image helped keep me wondering what was going to come next.

---------

When Red Becomes the Wolf by Jeannine Hall Gailey

Julie: I think there is a typo in the first line, "fired" for "fried" which bothered me. It's not fair to hold it against the poem, but it made my eyes twitch. I don't think this poem works, though it has some effective juxtapositions and I enjoyed the ending. The tone is inconsistent. It also made me want a fried bologna sandwich, a staple of my childhood in Appalachia, but only if it has the wedge cut in to make it fry flat.