The Standardized Carter-Westling Empirical Weirdness Evaluation Engine

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

WEE reviews May 30, 2006

Providence by Christian Barter

Julie: Strange read. Out of five strophes, two were wonderful (3,5), two fine (2,4), and one pretty dreadful (1). Adding that up should mean I like it, but the whole is less than the sum of its parts and I am unenthused. Still:
That architecture is a lukewarm ribcage
woven together with tiny songs.

That is just fab. I don't know what it means. I don't care. I love it.

---------

My Dress by Molly Tenenbaum

Julie: This poem was too much fun to read aloud. I didn't get much in the way of Deep Meaning, but perhaps I wasn't looking. Perhaps it isn't there. I mention it yet wonder if I really want it. Is it enough that this poem is a joy to speak?

---------

The Nod/A Clip by Seamus Heaney

Julie: And if you want to talk about poems that are a joy to read aloud, look no further. "The Nod" is quite nice, but "A Clip"? Really something special. There's something very satisfying, fat, about these two poems. Of course, I have a fondness for rhyme and the older I get the more I like 'em slant.