The Standardized Carter-Westling Empirical Weirdness Evaluation Engine

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

October 3

The Italics are Mine! by Dara Wier

This poem comes out in such a rush it's a bit breathless by the end. The voice here is young and intense and definitely supported by the emphasis of italics, the passion of the exclamation point.

---------

A Wife Explains Why She Likes Country by Barbara Ras


The funny thing is, I'm from the country, and everything in this poem is another reason why I don't like the country. I hate big hair and double-wides and that old-time religion. Yet, I love the poem. Who'da thunk?

---------

As far from the moon by Christine Scanlon


I can't claim to understand this odd little poem. My first read was a shruggy one, but when I came back to it to get my link ready, I reread and found something tickling at the back of my brain, something that made me say, "Hey, that's different than I thought I remembered." Can I be changed in the span of a few minutes? What will I think tomorrow?